Monday, September 3, 2012

Review: If I Stay by Gayle Forman

What can I say about this book, other than I *LOVED* it! Okay, I can probably say a little more than that.

Mia is a high school senior, a musical prodigy, and a happy, well-adjusted young woman.

And then she is involved in a car accident that changes everything.

"If I Stay" plays with the question of the afterlife, and the control you and I might have over whether we go into that bright light, or decide to stay amongst the living.

The story is told in a series of flashbacks, as we learn about Mia's tight family--her musician dad, tough-as-nails mom, and adoring eight-year-old brother. We also learn about her best friend Kim, and, of course, her boyfriend Adam.

The choice Mia makes is not as evident as one might think, and the reader is left guessing until the end.

I highly recommend this for YA as well as adult readers--Mia's story is told with love and sensitivity, and I was hooked until the very end.

No comments:

Post a Comment