Saturday, September 10, 2011

Mini-review of "Jemima J" by Jean Green


I know this has happened to everyone at one point or another, but this is such a tough review to write, because I'm not sure whether I liked this book or not.

Our heroine, Jemima, is an obese reporter at a down-on-its-luck newspaper in a not-so-great area of London. She has bitchy, skinny friends. She pines for her beautiful co-worker Ben, who is nice, but would certainly never see her as anything but a friend, because, you know, she's fat!

But when Jemima gets online and meets a handsome Californian on the Internet, she finds the inner strength to lose the weight and travel to LA to meet him, in the process transforming herself from a miserable duckling to a beautiful swan.

Jemima's a good heroine, with some self-esteem issues, to be sure, but a good head on her shoulders. The turn that the novel takes when Jemima gets to LA is kind of weird, and we don't see a satisfying ending for our girl until the very end. Even then I was left scratching my head. Had our H/h really learned their lessons, about judging a book by its cover? I'm just not sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment