Sunday, September 4, 2011

Review--"Scot on the Rocks" by Brenda Janowitz


Brooke is a Manhattan lawyer, invited to her ex-boyfriend's wedding in LA. She's excited about going with her current boyfriend, a Scot by the name of Douglas, until she discovers that Douglas plans on wearing a kilt to the ceremony. Thus begins a series of unfortunate events that culminate in lies, deception, fake Australian accents, and jokes about haggis.

Let me start this review by saying that the plot is thin and outrageous--the characters often unbelievable--the heroine so delusion as to sometimes be gag-inducing--and the ending about as predictable as you can get.

Let me then say that I. LOVED. THIS. BOOK. It is laugh-out-loud funny, and I hardly ever laugh out loud at books. When Brooke says (as an aside to the reader), "Oh, like you've never used Halloween as an excuse to dress like a slut," I was hooked. Hooked, I say!

Apparently there is a sequel to this book called "Jack with a Twist," which I plan on reading soon, because I can't stay away from Brooke and Jack!






No comments:

Post a Comment